IMSc, Chennai -IPhD interview experience- Sayan Mondal | Physics After Engineering blog


    So  let me share with you my Institute of Mathematical Science, Chennai interview experience. I didn’t have a particularly good interview, so I’m not expecting getting selected in this. There were 3 professors let’s call them A, B and C.

Prof A gave me a choice between Electrodynamics and Differential Equations.
I chose Electrodynamics.
A: Write Maxwell’s Equation.
I wrote them on the board.
A: now please remove the Maxwell correction term. And tell me if the equations are consistent.
Me: I tried to explain to them using the capacitor description that we were taught in Class 11-12. He listened to it and said to me that it is correct but asked me to show it through the four equations.
I was struggling, so Prof. C gave me some hint: take divergence on the equations and I did so. After struggling a bit, at last, I arrived to the conclusion that the charge flow is not being conserved, so we need Maxwell’s correction.   

Prof A now gives me the E and B components of an EM plane wave. He wrote them like this:
B= B0 ei(k’.r-w’t) (k’,B0 are vectors btw),(here there is k’ and w’)
E=E0ei(k.r-wt) (here there is k and w)
He asked me to
Prove k’=k and w’ = w.
I tried proving by putting them into the Maxwell equation but couldn’t finish, so they moved onto the next question.


Prof B now asked me about Quantum Mechanics.

B: Draw the 1D infinite well potential.
I did so.
B: write the Wavefunctions and energy values. (Energy Eigenstate and value)
I did so.
B: Now draw the 3rd eigenstate.
I did so.
B: Now imagine If the base wasn’t horizontal but slanting (like y=x), then how will the eigenstate change?
B: Give me the qualitative picture.
Me: Since k is dependent on E-V and this gets lower so K decreases and wavelength increase also the wavefunction amplitude is lower at higher V.

Then Prof C asked me if
The first Half cycle (the part between  x=0 and first node) of this modified V(x) have a bigger or smaller amplitude than the first half cycle of the normal particle in the box.
I struggled a bit, she gave a hint that it can be obtained by the property of wavefunctions.
I realized that
 The total Probability will be 1 and since the two other part has lower amplitude this will compensate and hence will be bigger, 
She agreed.

Then Prof C asks me a question on Classical Mechanics.
C: A particle is thrown up in a resistive medium where Fres depends on v.
I wrote the force equation.
C: What would be the velocity at time t->infinity.
ME: it will depend on the initial velocity.
C: Write the force equations in terms of v and solve the differential equation 
I did so and got an exponentially decaying function with a constant term.
Me: The velocity is constant at t->infinity as at some point the resistive force gets equal to mg and the ball has not acceleration so the ball is traveling in constant speed.
C: what is this velocity called?
Me: Critical Velocity? (I couldn’t recall the term)
C: No It is called Terminal Velocity.


                The interview ended here. The professors were super nice and gave hints at every point when I was struggling. IMSc is also a great institute.  Also, they provided free accommodation and Travel expenses. Food was really good and at a decent price.

RESULT : Not Selected(Wait Listed).
___________________________________________________________
Here are some other questions that were asked to other people :

  • Cycloid motion and Cyclotron motion of charged particle derivation. (This was not asked directly but the result arrived after successive questions on Lorentz force and diff equations)
  • A loop which is cutting a B field pulling a mass and when there is flux changing the block is moving down until the flux in a loop starts changing again. Leading to a Periodic motion. something of that sorts. So, the questions were quite doable.
__________________________________________________________









Comments

Below is the link for our Whatsapp group with 400+ members all of whom are engineers who actively discuss and help each other out in entering physics stream after engineering.

blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html


You can find the FAQs and important conversations happened earlier in the groups in this SubRedditr/Physicsaftrengineerin/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Physicsaftrengineerin/


Mail me on Dushyanth.edadasula@gmail.com for further queries.

Popular posts from this blog

⭐All ways to do MSc/PhD Physics after B.Tech | PAE blog

My Journey into Physics After Engineering - Vaibhav Sharma | PAE blog

JAM Physics preperation by AIR-1 JAM & JEST Rishabh

Books for JEST |AIR-6|Chintan Patel, TIFR Mumbai

⭐Top BSc Physics colleges| THE BEST LIST ON THE INTERNET

Best physics lectures for JAM (Complied by toppers) | PAE Blog

⭐Books for JAM Physics | AIR-6 | Niket Shah (IIT-B) | PAE Blog

Best physics books for JAM (Complied by toppers) | PAE Blog

JAM, JEST or TIFR, Which exam to prepare for? | PAE blog

A complete JAM & JEST prep. guide | AIR 22 JAM & 54 JEST | Harshul Gupta